Friday, October 19, 2007

The Lion, The Witch and Kitten's Wardrobe

I swore I wouldn't start the countdown until I was one week out, but I'm so excited I just can't help myself. 9 days!!!!

Oh my God, only 9 more days and I am officially in panic mode. Being the queen of procrastination I have yet to rent a car (my old Geo is on it's last legs and while I love a good adventure, being stuck in the middle of nowhere is not on my top ten list of things to do in this lifetime), plot my drive, pack and all the other little things that go along with moving across the country. And if anybody knows what those other little things are, please tell me because I just know I am going to forget something. Packing should really be the simplest of tasks as I don't need much to start out except for my clothes and a few personal items. But, alas, it's become somewhat of a nightmare. Like HLW packing up for South Africa (that's right, I'm giving a shout out to the other DC blogger), I make lists but I keep changing them. Subtract this....add that....oh, I'll definitely want all my pictures......should I bring my DVDs?...........I wonder if Loz has a food chopper...........where in the world did I put that book I love so much and should I bring more than a few books (I damn near own enough to fill a Barnes & Noble)........will we have room for my tub full of purses..........I suppose I only really need 3 pairs of black heels.............how did I end up with 16 different scented lotions........must not forget the Traveling Frog...........my iPod.........my camera...........and just like that I've gone cross-eyed. It's a little like someone asking "If you were stranded on a desert island what is the one thing you would bring?". Does anybody really have a good answer to that question? No, because nobody really ever knows what they are going to need.

Then there's the clothing issue. In order to pack I am going to have to go through my closet and that in and of itself is daunting. I tried doing it the other day. I swear I did. I very diligently sorted and separated until I had all my clothes in three neat little piles. There was the "'cute I wear it all the time pile", the "there might be some use for this" and the "what the hell was I thinking and please tell me I never actually wore this in public" pile. That one was easy to get rid of. If it has any sort of embroidered animal on it, off to the goodwill it goes. It was the "there might be some use for this" pile that was my downfall. Let's be honest, if you really have to debate whether or not you are going to wear something most likely you aren't. That bridesmaid dress I wore 10 years ago that made me look like a box has no practical purpose and just takes up space. But on the other hand, it could make a rockin' Halloween costume someday. And on and on it went. Oh, I know I would never wear this tye-dyed shirt with the skull on it in public but it has sentimental value. Suddenly, I am at the bottom of my pile and and I have only discarded 2 items. This will not do at all. So, I promise myself that the next time I give it a go I will do so only after a few glasses of wine. Maybe it's easier to part with things when you are half in the bag.

On another note, I don't want to leave you all hanging wondering what happened with Mr. Beautiful and I so here is a quick synopsis of the shortest relationship I have ever had in my life. The last 2 weeks were a flurry of phone calls, emails, text messages and a few hours spent face to face. The relationship progressed at warp speed due to the cold hard fact that I am moving in a very short time. We spent some quality time together (and I do mean quality), but it was time to say good-bye to my pretty little distraction. I have only nine days left here and the distance pretty much negates any possibility of a romance. I have high hopes that we remain friends, but I suppose only time will tell.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Purge, Kitten, purge! Stuff only holds you down. Upload your photos, download your music onto your iPod, off-load the junk. Your adventure calls for a clean slate!