Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Perfect Time Of Year

This is the perfect time of year. It's the time of year for apple orchards and pumpkin patches. It's the time of year when the leaves start to turn into an incredible palette of orange, red and gold making every drive down residential street like something out of a Thomas Kinkade painting. More importantly, it's the time of year that every true sports fan loves. This month I can watch the baseball playoffs (but i won't because the Twins stunk it up this year), football (GO SAINTS! GO TEXANS! That's right, you heard me - not a Vikings fan), or my one true love.....HOCKEY. As I sit here writing this I am eagerly anticipating the dropping of the puck for the first (insert delighted squeal) Wild game of the regular season. Since I can't be at the game you can bet I'll be in front of the TV screaming so loud they'll hear me in D.C.

That being said, you may ask yourself why I am leaving if everything is so perfect here in Minnesota. Go ahead and ask yourself. Just don't ask me. Moving Day is just 24 days away and the news is spreading faster than the Great Chicago Fire. I'll admit, I'm a bit perplexed by the reactions. I've been guilt tripped, lectured, sobbed at and completely ignored.

"You're making a huge mistake."
"How could you leave me?" (You'd think this one came from the bf, but it didn't)
"You're not going. YOU ARE NOT GOING!"
"Have you really thought this through?"

Wait...........................what?

I'm 29 years old with a college degree and a fair amount of common sense. Does anyone really believe I haven't thought this through? Not only have I thought about it - I've been obsessing about it since April. I've envisioned every every scenario from the good, bad and absolutely dreadful and I'm more than willing to take the risk. Don't get me wrong, I realize that most of these things were said out of concern for my well-being (at least that's what I'm choosing to believe) and it's nice to feel needed. I'm just curious why everyone seems to feel they are obligated to tell me the risks instead of maybe saying "Happy trails and good luck".

Maybe it's because there seem to be some serious doubts about my sanity, but I spent most of the day pondering when and why my desire to make a much needed change in my life became about everyone else. We all have hopes, dreams and passions..........is it so wrong to want to pursue mine?

3 comments:

HLW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HLW said...

Miss Kitty, you are awesome and brave. Don't listen to people, DC is a great town. Totally understand about the disappointment thing and the need to move for a change. I haven't quite done that yet, but I want to... just not brave enough yet. Instead I plan trips. Can't wait to read more about the move! I'll try to keep everyone posted about Africa.

Melissa said...

As long as you are happy, it absolutely does not matter what other people have to say, even if some of those comments come from the most loved individuals. Midwestern society is slow to evolve, and midwesterners like their continutity very much (having been born and raised in MN, I don't think this is terribly far from reality). Unless you're happy, no one around you will be happy, and for anyone to say "You cannot leave [ME]" should pause and think about who's happiness is this really about, anyway.